gardenartforum.com Forum Index
It's a Discussion Forum & a Whole Lot More!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log inLog in     

Click Here to Access the Knowledge Pages

Photoluminescent Scallop Shell Garden Art

Post new topic   Reply to topic    gardenartforum.com Forum Index -> Concrete, Cement & Hypertufa Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Papa Sierra

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 6:40 am    Post subject: Photoluminescent Scallop Shell Garden Art Reply with quote

Follow this link to some pics of a garden art piece I recently completed: http://i1262.photobucket.com/albums/ii612/PapaSierra/Scallop%20Shell/2 0180716_203958_zpsq6cbyyob.jpg

The process:

Bought some large 6" culinary scallop shells. Used sulfur-free modeling clay to bring 2 shells together as they would be in nature. Filled in all cracks and crevices and completed the details as I wanted them with clay. Made a 2-piece silicone form, then poured it with a mixture of white concrete, VCAS, and marble dust. The detail of the shell ridges came through nicely and it had the same chalky look and feel as a real shell. I can make many more copies with this form. As it started to solidify, I embedded a piece of basalt rebar in the concrete. This rebar rod eventually slid into about 4 feet of copper tubing, which forms the support that goes into the ground. I painted on a thin coating of photoluminescent powder in a clear acrylic based medium onto the shell and added another layer of acrylic lacquer. I added some additional details to compliment the completed shell - the copper wire dragonfly made per Luis Lopez' YouTube video, and some decorative copper wire windings on the rod to echo the dragonfly wire pattern.

The shell starts to glow as the sun sets. It is a fairly soft glow that lasts for a few hours unless a very bright light source is shone on it for about a minute. Then you get this eye-popping bright green glow that really shows the shell details.

I also made a blue shell, incorporating the glow powder into VCAS with some diluted concrete acrylic bonding agent and painting it onto the shell forms before closing the forms and filling them. This worked well too.

The photoluminescent powder is advertised as safe, but I always use a good mask when using it. I feel better about it after it is bound in a carrier like liquid acrylic medium. When you turn out the lights in the studio, you can identify every splash of the material as a bright colorful spot. These clean up easily with water, but again, I use a mask.

Hope you enjoy,

Best, Papa Sierra
admin
Site Admin
PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Outstanding! I love to see new ideas in this media and that is a cool one!
metalsmith

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got high-jacked to different photobucket images each time. Sorry I could't see what you were writing about! But sounds interesting.
Marci
Papa Sierra

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the heads-up, Metalsmith. I am ready to give up on Photobucket. Try this link to some additional pics on Google + at https://plus.google.com/113795203626233374780/posts/QgXJsLZYYn6

Just copy and paste. There are 10 photos. Click on "view album".

There are actually two versions of the shells, and two molds - one has the supporting copper rod at the hinge end of the shells, another with the shell opening facing downward. I prefer the latter orientation.

Concrete being so heavy, the one I am working on now needs a thicker section of copper tubing starting about halfway down. The supporting rod is about 3 feet in length.

I like your FFB limb light!

PapaSierra
admin
Site Admin
PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW! Thanks. Those are just gorgeous. I am trying to imagine a bunch of them dangling and glowing at night.
metalsmith

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That worked! I love them. What a fantastic idea!!

Thanks about the branch.

I have discovered a new way of coloring faux bois. Put it near a continual fire.... soot seems to look great on a dangling branch. Writing about the pizza oven. Still curing and I have more faux bois and mosaic to do.

Marci
admin
Site Admin
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gotta ask. Is the pizza oven a commission...or for yourself?
metalsmith

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I was lucky enough to go on a quick river trip for a couple of days.
The pizza oven is for myself. I originally thought that I would make more if ordered....but I doubt anyone would pay what I would ask! Refractory cement alone is outrageously expensive. I pay $11.00 a bag for Portland and refractory is about $100.00 a bag. The walls of the oven are around 3"thick to hold the heat necessary for a continually hot oven....and lots of yummy pizza.

Marci
metalsmith

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So even though I received the strange message that I had written too much, what I wrote apparently went on to the Forum. So very strange!!!

Kind of curious if this goes on to the Forum.

Marci
Papa Sierra

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:03 am    Post subject: New Link Reply with quote

With Google + shutting down, I am posting a new link: https://photos.app.goo.gl/czLM3ozXpkG5YCqm6
Post new topic   Reply to topic    gardenartforum.com Forum Index -> Concrete, Cement & Hypertufa Forum All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: