gardenartforum.com Forum Index
It's a Discussion Forum & a Whole Lot More!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log inLog in     

Click Here to Access the Knowledge Pages

Owl Family Stump #1

Post new topic   Reply to topic    gardenartforum.com Forum Index -> Concrete, Cement & Hypertufa Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Papa Sierra

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:03 am    Post subject: Owl Family Stump #1 Reply with quote

Been working on this owl family stump the for last couple of months... It has a polished petrified wood top and a family of concrete owls living within. It must weigh 200#! View at https://photos.app.goo.gl/1Po6QSSqKfW7Bet8A

The orange clay models are the basis of the stump and the owl family. They were referenced throughout the project for size and distances. Silicone molds of the clay owls were poured with the glass cabochon eyes glued in place inside the mold. The fungi are cement copies of fungi I took from trees in the nearby woods. Cement was carefully poured into silicone molds with lath tabs placed within as handles for the cement to hold onto.

I went heavier on the acid stain than I intended to, despite having made and stained textured sample patties.

Please do not share photos without permission. I am interested in your thoughts on this project. Best, Papa Sierra
admin
Site Admin
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You did a remarkable job of executing a difficult piece! Simply beautiful! The combination of materials as well as techniques makes this a truly unique and wonderful sculpture. You make an old man proud!

Now...get back to work! And do keep the pix coming.
Papa Sierra

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Tango. I learned from the best! You continue to inspire and encourage me, and that is everything. That's a big part of why we're here. Lots more ideas fermenting...On to the next thing! Papa Sierra
admin
Site Admin
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't wait to see what's next!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    gardenartforum.com Forum Index -> Concrete, Cement & Hypertufa Forum All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: