gardenartforum.com Forum Index
It's a Discussion Forum & a Whole Lot More!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log inLog in     

Click Here to Access the Knowledge Pages

Big Bird Sculpture

Post new topic   Reply to topic    gardenartforum.com Forum Index -> Metal Art Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin
PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:11 am    Post subject: Big Bird Sculpture Reply with quote

Howdy Folks --- Been mighty quiet here lately. And given that since completing the large, site built bench I have pretty much "retired" from any large scale Faux Bois, I hope you guys will continue to work & contribute. I do hope to continue teaching, but there will be no classes this year due to conflicts at the two sites I usually teach. Maybe next year.

Meanwhile...I did take on a fun little bit of metal and mixed media work. It will be a "Buzzalope". Anyone from Texas or the Southwest is probably familiar with the famous "Jackalope" critters that roam the West (five foot tall Jackrabbits that have antlers). Well, a new species has been spotted lately. A five foot tall Buzzard...that has antlers...aka...The "Buzzalope".

Made the frame from rebar (I still have plenty around) then covered the body with cut sheetmetal feathers. The head also has a rebar frame, but I used foam & paper mache to get the basic shape and then encased it in a two-part epoxy sculpting medium.

Here is the body with the wings and head as frames only.

Here he is with wings and the head & collar still to finish.

Used spray foam to fill out most of the head and beak than applied the paper mache to refine it a little more.

Will have more pix in a day or so as I am close to completing this piece. The installation will be a bit tricky as I have to weld it on top of an 8 foot tall steel post. And yes...it will be located at my favorite neighborhood bar to keep an eye on things in the back yard/patio area.

Till next time...
metalsmith

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just happened to check the Forum and what a fortunate surprise! I sure wish you would change your mind about your faux bois. Personally, I do not think you are done forging your way with faux bois.

But what fun to see your "buzzalope!" He is really special. And I bet fun and cathartic to sculpt. Maybe like faux bois has been for you.........

My 17 pieces leave my studio in a week and half. I am going to try to get some decent pictures of that process. I will post some images then.

Great job and thank you for sharing!

Marci
admin
Site Admin
PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Marci --- and I am indeed on the edge of my seat waiting to see this latest body of work you have put together. Please, please...let us see!
admin
Site Admin
PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Almost ready to install --- Got his head welded in place. All that is needed now is coating & sculpting his neck then painting it.

Getting close. Will no doubt have a little touch up to do on site, but the bulk of the work is done.
Jean

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:54 am    Post subject: Big Bird Sculpture Reply with quote

Big Bird is -- well, I can't find words! Great, first of all!

And I agree about the Faux Bois -- hope to see more.

Shocked

_______>^..^<JEAN>^..^<_______
AnitaKittel

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love your buzzalope. I look forward to your next project!
admin
Site Admin
PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Done and Installed --- The Buzzalope is now in residence at his new home at RE:HAB Bar on the Bayou. He was immediately named MOAB...(Mother of all Buzzards). We then determined that he needed an official motto.

Either...

Beer Pluribus Unum

...or...

Cervisie Pro Omnibus

My concern about him upsetting the visiting flock of ducks was obviously a misplaced concern. They paid him absolutely no never-mind.
Beau

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well frighteningly Donald you are a genius at sculpture as well, though there are similarities with faux bois. . Next I want to find that bar if ever I come to Texas as it looks so much fun.
Presently I'm doing a scratch coat on a long bench and it's making me pull my hair out with attaching to any horizontals with it slagging away. I get to this part and think I hate it. But then the sculpt goes on and I love it!!!
You know Australia is still waiting for you. All the best.
admin
Site Admin
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

G'day and many thanks Beau --- I know what you mean about trying to slap the first coats on then loving the sculpting part. Seems I still go through the same routine.

And I would absolutely LOVE to make the trip Down Under. Just can't figure out how to justify it. Maybe if I could put together a class of a hundred or so...
metalsmith

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is something else Donald! I love that you can go from sculpting wood to sculpting a gigantic critter.
I honestly can't stop scrolling to keep seeing the image...and then giving a chuckle. I think MOAB needs to be your calling card.
Just sent my commission off as of 7pm last night. I will get to images sometime soon.

Beautiful...and fun work as always!!!

Marci
admin
Site Admin
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Marci ans congrats on wrapping up a major commission! I can't wait to see lots of pix of all the pieces. I am so very proud of where you have taken this craft and gratified to know that it is in such good hands.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    gardenartforum.com Forum Index -> Metal Art Forum All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: